Monday, September 29, 2008

Obey Ronald

I opened the little McDonald's cardboard box and printed inside were the words "Savor your southern style chicken sandwich."

For $.99, I was expecting a breaded patty made of gray/chopped/pressed/cooked chicken-oid meat. Surprise! It appeared to be a real chicken breast. It was tender, juicy, and flavorful. The breading was crispy and seasoned nicely. Perhaps Ronald has infiltrated the Colonel's ranks and learned the secret of the eleven herbs and spices.

The chicken was served on a plain bun with some pickles. That's it.

I've heard it said--If it isn't helping things, then it's hurting. In this case, it's true. Lettuce, onions, mayo, or some ill-conceived "sauce" would've been no help. I suspect the recipe was more about hitting the $.99 price point than it was about simple elegance. Either way, niiiice sandwich. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 polyester-clad fast food minions.

4 comments:

Lois said...

I actually tasted a bit of Nigel's sandwich and it was good -- and I don't even like chicken.

Vorquel said...

I should look into this. If only one was on campus.

Anonymous said...

Isn't this McD's stab at Chick-Fil-A's basic chicken/pickle sandwich?

Nigel said...

jhjd4ever-Y'know, Lois said the same thing. I, for some reason, have never had that sandwich at Chick-Fil-A.